Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Feeling Lonely...

I have just posted every single email I didn't accidentally delete from my gmail account onto this blog, with the correct dates to show the timeline of events. I decided they are best on the blog, not in my gmail "garden" folder. This isn't my garden, this is Sycamore Hill's garden. Why not put everything out there? It was so interesting to go back and see things that were written only a few months ago. It gave me perspective.

I just had a really exciting meeting about the Columbus Community Gardening Blog that I created and co-author. We talked about the adding more writing that reveals the good and the bad about community and gardening. I have decided to write this very honest and open post in light of the fact that I don't want other community gardeners to feel bad when something doesn't go right. Creating a garden can be a very humbling experience.

I have to say that I am left feeling a little down because I don't seem to be doing a very good job getting people excited about the garden.

2, 3, 5

These numbers are the amount of people the meetings and tours are drawing. When I posted the emails, I was surprised how many things I have written about this garden and how hard I have tried to get people involved. However, there ARE some wonderful examples of people who are really thoughtful and looking forward to the garden that lifted my spirits. So, am I doing something wrong?

Are people (me, included) just that busy? Do people need a garden in place before they understand how wonderful this can be?

Here comes the whining and negative thinking (maybe I will not post this):

I am writing three grants right now, as well as creating the budget I forgot to attach (huge oversight) to the Growing to Green grant that I turned in on October 4. 2008. Perhaps that is why we didn't get it; I haven't asked for or received any feedback yet. (I should post the rejection letter if I can figure out how to post things that I scan. When we get it next year it will create a nice example of overcoming mistakes and obstacles.) Regardless, my point is that I am putting in an amazing amount of work into this garden. I am happy and extremely motivated to do it, but it makes me feel lonely and disappointed when people don't show! It is such a bummer.
I have high hopes that once the garden is in place, people will SEE how great it is and get more involved. Maybe people don't realize how much planning is going in to this garden. Just today, I have spent 8 hours drawing the garden, researching costs for the budget, writing on this blog, requesting help, and writing grants.

I want to say that the best thing I did was the brochure and survey (along with visiting every house). I worked very hard to make sure people want the garden before I started this process. It is so reassuring to know that I have documentation that 31 households said they were planning on participating, and even more were in support of it, but can't participate right now. I highly suggest you do this, too.

No comments: